Thursday, January 17, 2008

What A Week!!

This is a week that will not soon be forgotten.


First we started with the traffic chaos on Sunday as security authorities practiced for Shrub's motorcade. Then at 4pm, the next day, was declared a holiday. All major roads through the city were closed on Monday. It was an eerie feeling to see the city so quiet. Then the rains started. As folks returned to work Tuesday, they were challenged to find a route not blocked by road flooding.


It rained and rained and rained. For a week straight, we've had rain showers. But the past 2 days were full on rain - a real soaker! As I've said in previous posts, there are no drainage systems here (or at least not many). So, when the rain falls, there's no where for it to go. It would be an insult to call these things puddles. Ponds isn't even the right word. Maybe small lakes is more appropriate. Traffic was nearly at a standstill in the city. Cars were floating in their underground parking structures. A major interstate that crosses the UAE was closed in both directions due to a small lake that had formed across all 12 lanes. I walked into work wearing my sandals so that I could wade through the 4-inch pool that had formed right outside our sliding glass doors. The lovely granite steps and entries into buildings are a real accident hazard when they get wet. One small misstep and whooosh - you're on your bum (hopefully not a cracked head).


So, after Tuesday's chaos, the schools were declared closed for the rest of the week (Wednesday and Thursday). Lyra's been home with the neighbor kids having a ball. It's like snow days! Just need some hot cocoa and a sledding accident to feel like home.


Now, the rain has stopped and workers are starting to clear the flooding. This tanker truck is vacuuming the water to take it away. I'm sure they just dump it straight into the gulf. I can't imagine that they actually treat all this water. As the water drains away, the roads are left looking like dry creekbeds. They're covered with sand, pebbles, sticks and leaves. Last night, I almost missed the turn into our neighborhood because I couldn't distinguish the road from the empty sandlot next to it.




The sun has come out, and we're cold! Highs in the sixties and lows down near 40. We have no heat in the house. But, just like back in Milwaukee, we have one of the sunniest houses in the neighborhood. All day long, our house is exposed to the sun. So, we're getting some warmth now that the sun is out. But the evenings sure are cool.

2 comments:

Mamacita said...

I'm just sitting here reading your post and thinking "No way!" I'm glad you put up pictures.

Flooding in the desert....snort!

Kathie said...

Wow, maybe things will green up a bit before your Summer comes! Rain is better than the snow (today again) and the bitter cold we've had.

The WC for the Packer game was -24 in Green Bay. Very cold here in Milwaukee as well-below zero all weekend. Its 14 degrees now (1:30 PM) should snow 1-2 today accumulating to 5 in. The only one happy is George!

By the way they lost and now we really have nothing to do but wait for Spring or should I say June?