This morning, as I neared the time that my alarm would go off, I was having vivid dreams that I was sleeping in my bed in Milwaukee. My dreams included a rainstorm accompanied by thunder and lightning. Back home, my bed is in the attic and the sound of rain falling onto the roof can be clearly heard overhead. The gentle sound of water running down the gutters and the swish of car tires driving down a wet street are sounds I don't hear any more. In my dream, I heard the gentle roll of thunder and the lashings of rain against the window.
It was so vivid that I was jolted to reality when my alarm went off and I awoke shocked to find that I was back here in Dubai. But the feeling of being in my bedroom in Milwaukee stayed with me all morning as I got ready for work. I was pining for home and the sounds of a cold rainy autumn morning. In my imagination, I enjoyed leaping over rivulets streaming down the street and curbsides filled with soggy unraked leaves. I imagined the twinge of wetness as my shoes landed in a puddle while running to my car. But alas, I am living in dry arid Dubai.
Imagine my pleased surprise (and total disorientation) when I went out to the car - and it was raining. I dodged the rain on my way to the car and laughed at myself as I struggled to unlock the gate and get into the car without drenching my clothes and hair. I had a brief flash of curiosity about what might be hanging on the clothes line in back. But, too late to do anything about it then.
It wasn't a dream after all - or was it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oooh, an amazing gift for you!
Post a Comment