Lyra rented this movie yesterday. It's another one of those animation films with famous actors doing the voice-over. I'd never heard of it. When I got home last night - she was about 30 minutes from the end of the movie. I sat with her to watch the last bit - but mostly I was concentrating on eating my soup while sitting on the stairs and not spilling it on my work clothes.
When she was getting ready for bed, I asked her what the movie was about. Here's her synopsis:
Well a monster makes another monster. She's really really big and she doesn't know how to say anything. She talks like she's a baby. And another monster tells all the monsters that they need to be evil and that it should be dark all the time. But he was wrong. And so the big monster is trying to destroy everything, but the other monster - the one who made her - tells her that she doesn't need to be evil. And so, she was destroying every thing and then she stopped. It wasn't magic or anything, she just stopped. I don't really know how that happened.
I'm always fascinated by the details that she picks up on. Sometimes she will ask me, "Remember that movie where the dog was wearing the red collar?" - or something equally obscure. If I ask for more details, she'll sometimes be able to give a better clue. But often it will be something like, "You know, the one where the red collar was shiny and the dog was wearing it." If I'm still stumped, she pulls out the pre-teen angst - "You JUST DON'T GET IT!"
The other day - I overheard a similar dialogue with Russell and he responded with, "Don't get sassy with me - I'm trying to understand what you're saying." Tears ensued.
Lyra's especially emotional when she's going through a growth spurt. She ate three bowls of last night's soup and then a large breakfast this morning. Let this be a warning to us. Eggshell alert.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oooh, I feel so normal all of the sudden. I'm trying hard to remember my last similar incident.....something like "Do you remember that kid with the blue shirt?" "Um, no, could you be more specific?" "Moooo-ooohm! You know I have a better memory than you do!!!"
Grrrr.
Ha, I can really relate to this, both the detailed memory and growth-spurt sassiness. There are times when I can definitely see the tween years make an appearance in her like some evil monster lurking inside ;-)
Post a Comment