And the traffic is horrible.
Summer traffic was light while a large set of the population left to escape the heat (us included). Plus, the traffic for school runs stopped in mid-June. Then, when we all came back from summer, Ramadan started and businesses reduced their hours. And with Eid, tons of folks went on vacation.
All of the above has led to several months of smooth sailing for me as I commute to and from work. I've appreciated this most especially in the evening. In heavy traffic, it can take me 40 minutes just to get from my parking structure to the first intersection. I did finally bite the bullet and start using the toll-bridge. This road is usually free flowing and I've found I can reduce my commute by at least 20 if not 30 minutes. For 4Dhs (just over US$1) it's worth it.
So now, my biggest back up is as I approach the last intersection - a left turn at the light into Mirdif. Now that traffic has resumed, I'm backed up for nearly 1 mile waiting my turn. Of course there are lots of folks who feel that waiting doesn't apply to them. They will stay in the "go straight" lane and then cut in to turn just before the intersection. Always slows every else down.
I'm struggling to get used to it. Still a bit surprised to see the traffic mass outside my parking structure as I leave for home. I'm hoping, since this is the first week, that things will still settle a bit. I can appreciate the folks who long for the "old Dubai" before traffic became such a horrible mess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I HATE traffic. I think I'd pay $10 for that toll to save time.
I love following your blog.
Lori W
Post a Comment