Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Can't Hear You

Lately, I can't hear the morning call to prayer and I wonder why. It's particularly odd since the timing right now is about 10 minutes before my alarm goes off. And usually, I'm in a semi-alert state by then anyway. This morning - I could hear a faint sound if I strained my ears. What's up with that?

I wonder if I've just become "immune" to it. You know, like living with a cuckcoo clock - after a while you just don't hear the sound any more. But I would have thought that if I was actively straining to hear the call that I would be able to. And this morning I could barely hear them.

Maybe it's the A/C fan that is on in the room. It's still hot enough here for the A/C to be running 24 hours a day - and even at 5:20am it's running. It is pretty loud - enough to mask most sounds. But when we first moved in (almost exactly 2 years ago) I could hear the call as plain as day each morning. And we had the A/C running non-stop then, too.

The only other thing I can think of is that the mosque-guys have turned down the volume. I'd be surprised by that - really. The whole purpose of the call is to wake up the neighborhood. Turning down the volume seems counter productive to that objective.

So, it's a mystery.

1 comment:

Musia said...

I loved hearing the early morning call to prayer -- and the rooster.